Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not good news

I have been putting off writing this because writing it makes it too real.  But yesterday we got the news we knew was coming.  Carole's Oncologist has told her that the tumour in her peritoneum is unlikely to respond to treatment.  Rob was still feeling shocked last night but is coping as well as could be expected.

He wants to organise for her to come home from the hospital, even if for only part of the time.  I think that would be good for them both.

Carole's eldest son Barry knows, but her youngest son, Allan, is gadding about in Europe with some mates and is hard to track down.  I hope Barry is able to find Allan quickly so he can get home and have some time with Carole.

Mum is going down to Launceston on Saturday to help Rob.  But with Dad due for a scan and possibly more chemo next week, he can't go with her, at least until we know what is happening with him.  Mum is stressing out about leaving him.  I offered to go up and stay with Dad, but he got into a high dudgeon and is happy to be on his own and call on friends if needed.

It is so hard being stuck on the sidelines.  I want to do something to help, but it is hard to know what.

I picked up the quilt I have been working on for Carole from the long arm quilter last night and will start on the binding this afternoon.  I plan to drive up to Sydney on Saturday morning to meet up with Mum and give her the quilt to take to Carole with her.  I'll be putting up photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment